Homework Assistance Program (Homework Made Easy – (HME Program)
Being less fortunate than other does have an impact on children in poor communities. It is the inherent lack of proper schooling from parents or the absence of parents that contributes to the deteriorating of the quality of and ability to do homework and in turn attend school. A further contributing factor is the access to basic stationary, books, libraries and modern technology like the internet. POVERTY directly affects academic achievement due to the lack of resources available for a child’s success.
Our goal is to:
- Provide help with homework and assignments to all children who need it
- Increase children’s’ motivation with regard to school and their ability to take responsibility for their academic progress
- Help our children acquire working methods and develop their ability to work autonomously
- Increase the involvement of parents and the community with their children to ensure that the parents do not give up and keep the child from going to school
- Involve successful young adults from the community who were faced with the same challenges to assist with the program
Poverty significantly affects the resources available to children. Due to this lack of resources, many children struggle to reach the same academic achievement levels of children not living in poverty
The factors affecting student achievement include income, source of income, and the mother’s education level.
We have 10 Desktop Computers and a learner assistance program which enabled us to start the homework assistance program in the community in January 2015, the improvement in our children’s rapport cards is so evident and we stand in awe of this wonderful miracle that is happening in our community.